Lawrence Livermore National Lab (CA)
This pin commemorates the contributions of the Lawrence Livermore National Lab and the NIF laser, the world’s largest and highest-energy laser. The National Ignition Facility (NIF) is a key element to maintaining the reliability, security, and safety of the U.S. as a nuclear deterrent. It precisely guides, amplifies, reflects, and focuses 192 powerful laser beams into a target about the size of a pencil eraser in a few billionths of a second.
Pantex Plant (TX)
This pin commemorates the contributions of the Pantex Plant in Amarillo, Texas. The Pantex Plant played a central role in the Cold War, assembling thousands of nuclear warheads that helped maintain the strained relations between the Soviet Union and the United States. For nearly 30 years, since 1975, Pantex has been the country’s primary facility for final assembly, disassembly, retrofit, and life-extension center for nuclear weapons.
Portsmouth Gaseous Diffusion Plant (OH)
This pin commemorates the contributions of the Portsmouth Gaseous Diffusion Plant, or A-Plant. The U.S. Atomic Energy Commission began construction of the A-Plant to provide enriched uranium for the nation’s nuclear weapons program and to provide fuel for the growing nuclear power industry. The plant enriched uranium from 1954 until 2001 through a process called gaseous diffusion.
Savannah River Site (SC)
This pin commemorates the contributions of the Savannah River Site in Aiken, South Carolina and its five reactors. These 5 reactors: R, P, L, K, and C helped produce the basic materials used in the fabrication of nuclear weapons in support of our nation’s defense programs—primarily tritium and plutonium-239. SRS produced about 36 metric tons of bomb-grade plutonium from 1953 to 1988 in support of the nation’s nuclear defense.