Mercury, Nevada 1951-1992
The Nevada Test Site, located in Nye County, was established in 1951 as a location for testing and detonating nuclear weapons that were being materialized and researched in other facilities. The worksite was also used for low-level waste disposal, earth-cratering experiments, and open-air nuclear reactor testing. The site spans over 1300 miles and includes over 1000 structures and the formations of paved roads and airstrips. During its prime, around 100 nuclear tests were conducted above ground and around 900 tests under the ground. Worksite employees were potentially exposed to radiation through unintentional release of gaseous material in the atmosphere, handling materials, and the buildup concentrations in soils.